Elaneer Payasam - Guest Post

The guest post section on Curries and Spices is back! And this time, it is my dear friend A, who is contributing a lip-smacking dessert!

A and I are ex-colleagues, forever-good-friends, who share so many interests. She is such sweet girl, whom I bank on for anything. Ask her for a diet regime, she mails the whole plan in a few minutes. Ask her for a recipe, she sends it with the pic in hours!! We share many many fond memories, starting from our training days at Pollachi. And we both are die-hard fans of the IPL team, Chennai Super Kings; so much hardcore that noone dares to talk bad about CSK in front of us ;) Hehehe :)

So without much yada-yada, here comes the A's special dessert for all of us, in her words.

~~~~~~

‘Elaneer Payasam? Really?’ I asked, when my colleagues and I went out to lunch at Ente Keralam a couple of weeks ago. To be honest I hadn’t known that such a simple yet delicious dish even existed.
To my own surprise, when I had a spoon of it from my colleague's cup, I knew I had to master this one.
So I went recipe hunting. On the internet. And found quite a few bloggers write about the goodness of Elaneer Payasam. (and said to myself: "Woman there's no point in calling yourself a foodie when you didn't notice this one ALL THIS WHILE.)

Made from just 5 ingredients, you know you just cannot go wrong on this payasam when you read the recipe and go about cooking it.
I chose Lavanya Donthamshetty's recipe, as it was the simplest (and modified it a bit)

Let me get straight to the recipe.

Elaneer Payasam


You'll need:
1 litre of milk (full fat)
3/4 cups of sugar
1 cup coconut milk (extract it yourself)
1 and a half cups of tender coconut water
about 2 cups of tender coconut pulp, roughly torn apart by a spoon or hand

3 Cardamom pods to garnish (optional)

Method:
Start by boiling the milk and then letting it simmer till it reduces to about 750 ml.
At that stage it starts turning a little ivory-ish and thick.
Add sugar and stir for another 5 minutes.
Now the milk is starting to look almost yellow.
Add coconut milk and cardamom, and stir for about 30 seconds.
Turn off heat, and stir well for about a minute until you think the coconut milk is fully combined into the rest of the broth (of milk and sugar).
Now add the tender coconut water and the roughly cut pulp and stir for about 30 seconds.
Let it cool down, and then refrigerate it.
After about 4 hours, pull it out, and impress everyone (and yourself). I served this to my family and WOW- my mum, who's the best critic actually appreciated me. Try it out- its a clear winner!

Alternatively, you can use 150 ml condensed milk. If you do that, use only 750 ml initially to boil.
Also, you may add saffron strands if you like saffron flavor.
I've used chunks of tender coconut pulp because I like biting into larger chunks, but you may want to dice the pulp or cut it up into smaller bits.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. See you all soon with another interesting recipe!

37 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

grt recipe

Balakrishna Saraswathy said...

Kerala special dish..looking yummy and just miss my friend's mom's Kerala food:((

Saraswathy Balakrishnan
Taste of Saras Kitchen
http://bsaraswathy.blogspot.com

Balakrishna Saraswathy said...

Kerala special dish..looking yummy and just miss my friend's mom's Kerala food:((

Saraswathy Balakrishnan
Taste of Saras Kitchen
http://bsaraswathy.blogspot.com

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj said...

so delicious payasam...
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Priya said...

Irresistible payasam,feel like having a bowl.

roses said...

Mouthwatering here,
Rosesandgifts.com

Web Developing Services said...

This blog information is really helpful to making rava idly.I like to make this by using this method.
Web Design Company | Web Development Company

Chang bui thi said...

This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much.
Signature:
i like play games friv online and play games2girls Download baixar facebook

Frozen Juegos said...

You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
Signature:
Jugar juegos de frozen en línea gratis, los nuevos de princesa de Disney juegos frozen - la princesa encantadora y linda. Divertirse frozen!

Facebook Descargar said...

You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
Signature:
download descargar facebook apk gratis para Android celular and download free descargar facebook para android and descargar facebook gratis , descarga facebook

games unblocked said...

Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was practical.
Keep on posting!
kids games online
friv 2
unblockedgames
un show mas

tranthuhahungyen said...

Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. I think I need it.
Games for girls|
Kizi 1|
Kizi 2

NGOCLAN said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing
Kizi 123|
Friv 234|
Friv

bibikafu said...

Thanks for your great article friend, i get new information, new ideas to do somethings, i hope you will share again, i keep waiting for next post, thanks.
Friv 4
Kizi 3

ka maz said...

This is very informative site. I am totally pleased by your excellent work. Many thanks for sharing.
Friv 10

Online Game said...

You need to kill time, you need entertainment. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks you for sharing!
Yepi
Kizi
Friv
Friv Games

Online Friv said...

you'd have time to look these kids active. Please visit our website and let us play the game interesting.
Thanks for sharing !
Friv 10
Kizi 10
Yepi 2

tranbaongoc said...

You are stressed and tired, you need entertainment. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfortable.
Kizi 4

Le Bens said...

What a wonderfull post! thank you... read with pleasure!
Friv 100

tranthuphuong said...

thank you for your interest in welcome visit
Friv 4

Online Friv said...

You need to kill time, you'd have time to look these kids active. Refer to our website. Hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks for sharing !
Friv 5
Kizi 1
Yepi 3

tranduyphong said...

New attractive game . I will play it every day
Friv|
Friv 2

Hieu Nguyen said...

When you're tired, you want to relax after a stressful working hours, you need to have time to take care of the kids active.
Please visit our website and play exciting flash games.Thanks you for sharing!
Friv 4

Kizi200 Games said...

Play the Best Free Games! We've picked out the racing games, cooking games, candy crush, games shooting, fashion games, ...
Thanks for sharing !
Kizi 200
Friv 1
Y88
Y9

lee anh nuooi said...

Play games we reward Corolla Altis car

Friv Games
Kizi 100
Games2Win

Hieu Nguyen said...

You want to relax after a stressful working hours. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks for sharing !
Friv 100
Friv 8
Friv 2

Online Friv said...

You want to relax after a stressful working hours. Refer to our website. Hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks for sharing !
GirlsGoGames
Kizi 100
Frvi

شركة زهرة العلا said...

شركة تخزين الاثاث بالرياض

Online Friv said...

You need to have time to take care of the kids active. Please visit our website and play exciting flash games.
Thanks you for sharing!
Games2Girls
Kizi 1000
Frin
Friv 3

Tdt 3535 said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing. Can you play more games at: Friv100 | Kizi4 | happy wheels

Giải Trí Tổng Hợp said...

The blog or and best that is extremely useful to keep I can share the ideas. Age Of War 2
Big Farm | Slitherio | Tank Trouble
Of the future as this is really what I was looking for, I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
Happy Wheels | Goodgeme Empire | Slither.io

Eric Trump said...

Thanks for sharing this good stuff! Keep up the great work, we look forward to reading more from you in the future!
Friv 100

nguyen thanh truc said...

Games are games of human intelligence.
Join experienced talent with me yet! What are you waiting for?
age of war 2
gold Miner 2
unfair Mario 2
cubefield 2
tanki Online 2

Friv Games
Y2
Friv 200

jjang said...

Your article is very good.thank you very much.
Juegos Friv 4
Kizi 1000

trump Ivanka said...

Work anybody but take some time to relax every day work efficiency will be higher than that. Invite you to visit our website

Friv 1
GirlsGoGames
Friv 4 School

Prasanth said...

A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors. Getting some solution regarding.

Funny Games said...

Thanks to information shared by the author. hope the author has many more interesting articles
Y8 Games
Friv 1000
Friv 4