Screaming Spicy!!!! Schezwan Fried Rice

Anything marked "extra spicy" will definitely find a place in my plate! Whereas my loving hubby is exactly an opposite (Unlike poles attract, they say!) Well, in contrast to having brought up in Hyderabad, he is such a softie character who can't stand even an extra spoon of pickle. But me? I can eat chilli chutney without flinching!
So one day when I was planning for a lunch for myself, I wanted to have something hot and spicy. I have tried this "schezwan fried rice" in restaurant once and found it appealing. Since then I wanted to try this at home, but the fear of hubby's aversion to chillies kept stopping me.
But I must warn you, please reduce the number of red chillies used if you can't stand hot food. Tears started streaming down my face after having this super hot rice! ;)

Schezwan Fried Rice
Rice cooked with Capsicums and hot red chilli gravy
Serves 2

What we need:
Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Capsicums (Green/Red/Yellow) - 1 cup, finely sliced
Brocolli - 1, finely chopped Optional
White Onion, medium sized - 1, finely sliced
Soya sauce - 1 tbsp.
Garlic - 5 to 6 pods
Dry Red Chilli - 7 to 8 Adjust according to your taste
Salt - as needed
Oil - as needed

How to do:
1. Cook the rice separetely. Each grain of the rice must be separate.
2. Soak the dry red chillies for 2 to 3 hours and grind them to a smooth paste along with garlic and soya sauce.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan and add the onions. Fry them till the onions turn soft.
4. Add the capsicums and brocolli (optional) and sprinkle some water to let them cook.
5. When they are done, add the ground chilli paste and salt. Stir and mix well till the raw smell of garlic starts to leave.
6. Now slowly add the rice and mix well, careful not to break the grains.
7. Let it sit in low flame for 5 minutes and remove it.

Serve with any chinese gravy or starter.

No comments: