Peerkangai Thogaiyal and a bunch of Thanks

May I take this moment to ask you all to join me in praying for victims of the terrible earthquake at Haiti.. May the God give the survivors the strength to come back to normalcy soon..! My heartfelt prayers to everyone out there who had to pass through this calamity!

Now over to our recipe...

Peerkangai Thogaiyal / Beerakaya Pachadi
Ridgegourd Chutney

What we need:
Peerkangai - 2
Urad dal - 3 tbsp.
Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp.
Red Chilli - 4 to 5, adjust according to your spice-tolerance level
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp.

How to do:1. Wash, clean and peel the ridgegourd. Save the skin. Cut the vegetable into small pieces. I have used both the skin and flesh here. You can also opt for using only one of these.
2. Heat oil and add the urad dal. Fry till the dal starts turning light brown.
3. Now add the red chilli and fry till they start turning darker in color.
4. Mix in Asafoetida. Now add the vegetable and skin along with some salt. Keep stiring till they turn tender and done.
5. Let it cool for a while and transfer everything to the blender, add tamarind paste now. Blend to a smooth/coarse chutney.

Serve it along with rice mixed with sesame oil and roasted papad.

A recap of 2009:
As I havent done thies earlier, here's a short and sweet of recap of my 2009. Slow, quite satisfying and uneventful! This was how my 2009 was.

Some good things:
** I could visit a lot of new cities in Europe. A typical Saggitarian, I always love to travel and thanks to my DH who also has become a backpacker now, we had fun exploring the European architecture.
** "Curries and Spices" was born out of my boredom. Now I never feel bored!
** Thanks to the response and support for the cooking blog, I was motivated to start "Demystifying Beauty", a little corner from the artist in me!
** Above all, I have earned a good bunch of lovely friends, from the blogging world and the forums out there!

Not-so-good things:
** The first year after my college days that I spent my time idle mostly.
** A few saddening incidents on the family-front that left me quite disheartened.. But thankfully, 'All izz well' now!

In all, 2009 was an year of mixed feelings!

Now coming to acknowleding all the appreciation my buddies have showered on me:

Kanchan, my sweet friend, had wished me in her blog on my birthday; so sweet of you dear! Thanks to all you friends, who showered me with your good wishes on my birthday; it was so touching!

Asha , Priya passed on to me:

Vineetha and Cool Lassi(e) passed on to me this award. Thanks buddy, I have already been tagged here.

Dolly has motivated me with:

Thanks a ton friends, I am touched. I am happy to share these awards with everyone of you, so please free to accept it and display it in your blog!

See you all soon with another interesting post and T&T. Till then, Happy Cooking and Happy Blogging!

57 comments:

kitchen queen said...

The peerkangai thogaiyal is delicious.I have an award waiting for u in my blog.You can collect it.

அண்ணாமலையான் said...

its a healthy one too..

Unknown said...

i make this often and love it..

Rachana said...

Dear Rohini,
Happy Pongal! Pachadi looks yummm and am glad to know that "All izzz Well" now. Wish you have a rocking 2010!

Sowmya said...

yum..this is my fav 1...keep rocking buddy!

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious and fantastic thovaiyal ROhini...COngrats on ur awards..

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi, I have not tried this pachadi, I guess it will be interesting to introduce ridgegourd like this, will love it with sesame oil.

lata raja said...

Dear Ro, it was nice reading your recap.You are right very satisfying from the looks of it. You seemed to have enjoyed mostly.
May you have more reasons to smile and celebrate.
Congratulations on the awards.

Kanchan said...

wow.. me did a bit from my end to make you smile this year ... yay !!!
Loved your recap... and you what babes even I had prepared a similar type of chutney with bit of variation,
check here :
http://personaltadka.blogspot.com/2009/09/ridge-gourd-skinedges-chutney-shirala.html

Sushma Mallya said...

loved reading it rohini...glad to know everything is fine now...And happy pongal too

Tina said...

Yummy chutney...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

healthy and simple thogayal

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

I can really eat 5 dosa with ur yummy and delicious chutney:)

San!!! said...

Excellent combo with dosa or idli.I could see nice transformation in you.Happy blogging !!!

Preeti Kashyap said...

Lovely pic...i make the thoviyal in the same way! Nice to know you have been travelling...I love it too!

Sunitha said...

Congratulations on your award! Way to go and nice recipe as usual.. I don't know how you get them ground so welll

SE said...

Our prayers are with the people of Haiti !!!

Chutney looks gr8 and congrats on ur awards !!

Ash said...

Mom prepares this a lot.... I kinda never drooled for it... but still it is fine with me.... It is good.... with dosas... & Wishing u all the happiness & joy for this year too....
I know u would rock the year.... And congrats too..... U deserve them too....


Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Latha said...

Congrats on ur awards...wishing u many more...Nice thogaiyal.

Namitha said...

Join you in praying...So sad..Hope they will be back to normal soon !! I don't know, every earthquake reminds me of the 2001, Gujarat, when my husband was doing a work in some remote village there. We were not able to reach him for a couple of days and the tension we've gone through..horrible !!

Great thogaiyal...Perfect texture..Liked the presentation too :-)

Anonymous said...

I nveer go nera thogayals..but amma always says they r yummy n gud for health..ur pos n pic reminded me that..

Unknown said...

Healthy & Delicious thogayal!!Congrats and wishing u many more to come..Keep rocking rohini!!

Uma said...

looks yum!! HAPPY PONGAL :)

Parita said...

Hey Rohini, good to know that All izz well now :-) Pachadi looks delicious and very inviting!
Wishing you a very happy pongal and a wonderful year ahead!

Unknown said...

That is a very thoughtful post, the thogayal looks very delicious.

Nandinis food said...

I'm joining the prayers for the well being of Haiti people. And BTW, thogayal is very nutritious and attractive!

Ms.Chitchat said...

Joining you in prayers to the people of Haiti. This calamity reminds me of Tsunami and the earthquakes in India.

Your thogaiyal looks perfect. Re-cap was good. Hope you have a beautiful and happy year ahead. Even I am enjoying blogging and more so, I have earned many blogger friends online who try to cheer u up anytime and every time. Happy blogging as always :):)

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Urmi said...

Pachadi looks mouth watering. Wonderful presentation with lovely picture.

Unknown said...

Super database of recipes. Wil try all these one day.

kamalabhoopathy said...

lovely recap and wonderful thogaiyal Rohini.

LifenSpice said...

Long time i visited your blog. Hope you had a good start to the new year:) Good to know you visited a lot of places around europe. Visited Germany yet?:)

Anonymous said...

rohini amazing dish.will try this tonight.

Kanchan said...

Hey,
I tried your vegetable pulav during one get together for my cousins ! It was awesome, All Loved it ,Its a perfect Party style Pulav, do check out :)
Thanku :D

gtyuk said...

peerkangai thuvayal looks great and mouth watering with the combination you've mentioned rice/sesame oil and appalam, hmmmm, oru pudi pudichidalaam :)

congratulations for all the awards, enjoy and wish you lots more!!!

Raks said...

I love this chutney,Make when ever I buy rdge gourd!

Nithya said...

Wow... this is my favorite thogayal too :)

Nice to see you back and a lovely post with a short flash back :)

Hey buddy is there something to do with thogayal and awards.. the last time you made a thogayal you got an award to.. ha ha ha :) just kidding :)

Hope you have a super good year ahead too :)

Dolly Sharma said...

Dear Rohini, Joining you in praying for the victims of the devastating earthquake in Haiti..I watched the entire 2 hr report on TV Friday night and seeing the little kids who have been left orphans by this disaster..no food no water no place to stay..was really heart wrenching. But then on the other hand you see volunteers helping them, all the countries reaching out to them..it feels so GOOD..

Also loved ur post..your recap of 2009.Glad to know u got to visit many places especially Europe..I did a little bit of them when I was working in Geneva..just be a backpacker ..and visit new places..

Ridgegourd Chutney looks awesome.. Its new to me..but I'm going to try making Pachadi..

REst ...ALL IZZ WELL...I guess u have wathed the 3 idiots movie too..Awesome movie...

Swarna said...

Very nice post Rohini, congrats of awards and I wish you full of happiness in this year.

Madhurya Karthik said...

Hi Rohini,

Looks yummy. I love all kinds of thogayal. Will try this out....

Luv
Madhu

Nithu Bala said...

Hi Rohini, am joining you in your prayers for Haiti people..that was indeed a very sad occurrence..

Am new to your space..I get to see so many lovely dishes in your blog..happy to join your blog..

Btw, I like this healthy thogaiyal..looks yummy..

Anupama said...

Hey dearie,

Good to know that things are well on the family side. It is hard for anyone otherwise, especially since people like us stay far far away from home. On another note, you seem to have done quite some travel the past year (ahem ahem.. you orkut pics are a testimony to that) and I loved all the places in those pics that you guys have visited :-).

Coming to the recipe, I know only this thogayal to make with peerkkangaai and my method is exactly the same as yours :-). Just some of the thogayal mixed with hot rice and nallennai and a little moar kuzhambu to go on the side... wouldn't it be wonderful!!!!

Rajani@eatwritethink said...

hi rohini, its my first time here, i am glad i discovered your blog. lovely recipe!

Sowmya said...

Hi dearie, An Award Awaits U..check out my blog..please accept it!have fun.

Ambika said...

Hey Rohini! Thanks babe..Passes on your kisses to Milo and says thanks too :)

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Congrats dear,Thogayal looks yum,I am droooling here....

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Thats a different recipe with Peerkangai, thanks for sharing such yummy thogiyal. Book marked da......

Parita said...

mm looks very delicious! congrats on all your awards!

cookeaze said...

Lovely recipes.. they looks just perfect.. :)

Perspectivemedley said...

I've never tried this before!, Thank you for the recipe... I would like to share a award with you :), please accept it from my blog :)

Preety said...

pachadi looks yummy and congrats for awards

shahana said...

First of all,joining with you for the prayer .
I really liked your post with the recap of 2009.
Finally,nice presentation for the chutney and it looks delicious!!!

Sowmya said...

An award awaits u dear...check out my blog and please accept it...have fun!

Madhavi said...

Yumm chutney, congrats on ur awards!!

Aruna Manikandan said...

Congratulations dear!!!!
Chutney looks yummy!!!
My Hubby simply loves it..

my kitchen said...

Delicious Thogaiyal dear,With hot rice tastes heavenly

Swarna said...

There is a award waiting for your acceptance, pls kindly accept it.

Unknown said...

Simply Delicious!