A post for my patti..

"We are never too old for our grandparents" ~ Anonymous

Well, how true it is!! No matter how old we are, how many kids we have, whichever part of the world we are, we are the apple of the eyes for our grandparents. I am no exception!

So the other day when my good friend S at Ruchika cooks blogged about this event, I was thinking of breaking my blogging hibernation (hopefully) by posting the relationship my grandmother and I shared along with her favorite recipe.


I being the only daughter of my parents, never knew what a sibling love is like. I have some very close cousins, but it is nothing like having your own brother or sister right? But I never missed not having a sibling, thanks to my parents and my grandmother, who ensured I never missed anything in my life.

Patti, as I call her... is such strong willed woman, who was way too cosmopolitan for her times. She completed her double masters degree and remained a career woman till her retirement. Then she moved in with us, which brought a lot of difference in my life. She encouraged me to participate in every event that came up in my school or college, helped me put together essays and speeches for the competitions, helping me with my hindi lessons, sharing her experiences and bestowing me with her wisdom and what not!! And I consider myself lucky to have her see her great-grandson and play with him during her lifetime.

Unfortunately, she is no more with us. Her strong heart, that was unflinching through so many sorrows, disappointments dnd mockery, grew too tired to take anymore. And her body too became immune to the medications that were fighting to keep her alive.

So, she decided to leave us, exactly a week after I moved to the USA. It has been almost 6 months now, but somehow everyday something keeps reminding me of her. One fact that keeps haunting me and will haunt me forever is that I could not say a proper goodbye to her.

On the lighter side, she had such a great sense of fashion. She was considered to be a fashion icon in her town!!!! :) And she was such a great cook who can whip up a lavish full course meal for 50 odd guests effortlessly. And she had an amazing sense of humor, had so similar tastes like mine when it came to music, movies, food and much more. Most of the recipes in my blog are hers. And for those of you who tasted my cooking and think I am a decent cook, be assured, I inherited it from her!

Though it is hard to digest the fact that I will never get to see her again, I am positive that she is always watching over me, wishing me well! And here is the link to her favorite recipe(and of course mine too).

Thengai pal kurma or Vegetable Stew goes to 'Cooking with love' series hosted by Sara's corner, guest hosted by Ruchika cooks this month.


Hoping to meet you all again soon! Till then, happy cooking and happy blogging!

13 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely recipes

Shama Nagarajan said...

I would like to share an award with you , please collect it from here :http://www.easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/award.html

Anonymous said...

Have a nice day.
incense sticks manufacturers in madurai

Unknown said...

Loved the blog…
keralaflowerplaza.com

chennaicakesdelivery said...

nice to visit. its very heart touching. from www.chennaicakesdelivery.com

Anonymous said...

Very amazing blog.Now a days people need foods instantly with quality and taste with help of spices in india only.

Unknown said...

I have been a regular visitor of this site and I love reading blogs posted here. They are truly very well written, precise and to the point. Thanks. best Lasik surgery in India

Cartloot said...

Thanks for this infomation. Please visit:

noodles online
order snacks online
order spices online
readymade food
online beverage store
indian sweets online
For more online shopping.

StevenHWicker said...

It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Indian Groceries store near me

Anonymous said...

thank u somuch for this blog its really helpful formy prefossion

Sabarish said...


Very interesting! Can you please share more about it!
Spices for wholesale

Shah ji Spices said...

Hello , we have read your blog/article about A Post For my Patti and it seems amazing. We here at Shahji Spices provide complete range of spices that makes your food delicious like never before. Come have a look at our range of products.
Contact us for more details.
Website - https://shahjispices.com