Aloo Mutter Bhaji - A tuber ecstasy!

Potatoes are invariably the favourite for the most. V and I are no exception. We love the idea of having potatoes anytime! Be it a simple aloo curry for dinner, or the yummy french fries at the MacD's. (I hope, a lot of you are nodding your head in agreement!) So, there goes our love affair for potato, over to our story of Aloo Peas Bhaji...

It was raining the other day, and I was not in my usual chirpy mood. The idea of dinner was not so bright... So, what do we do? As I stood in the kitchen, scratching my forehead, a Pack of potatoes smiled at me, coming to my rescue. I knew that moment what's for dinner. Puris and Aloo Bhaji...! I bet there could not be a much more comforting food, when it is not a bright day, and you are too tired to whip up something special.

So it is Puri and Aloo Bhaji... wait, but the title says "Aloo Mutter Bhaji"? Oh ya, did I tell you that those poor little green peas, left frozen in my fridge, got moksha that day? ;)

So, here goes my blog's first recipe, dedicated to this yummy tuber delight!!

Aloo Mutter Bhaji/ Potato Peas Bhaji
Potato and Peas cooked in a mildly spiced gravy
Serves 2

What we need:
Potatoes – 2 medium sized
Frozen Peas – 1 Cup
Onion, chopped finely – 1 medium sized
Tomato, chopped finely– 1 medium sized
Green chillies, chopped finely – 1
Gram flour – 2 spoons
Cumin (Jeera) seeds – 1 spoon
Turmeric powder – ½ spoon
Chilli powder – 1 spoon
Salt – to taste
Cilantro (Coriander) – for garnishing
Water – as needed
Oil – as needed

How to do:

1. Boil, peel the potatoes. Break them into smaller pieces with hand. (Do not cut)
2. Heat oil in a kadai or non-stick pan.
3. Add cumin seeds. When they start to sizzle, add the onions and green chillies. Cook till the onions turn soft and translucent.
4. Add the tomatoes. Fry till they turn soft and start to pulp out.
5. Throw in the gram flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and stir for a minute.
6. Add the potatoes, frozen peas and cook for a minute.
7. Now add water, as much as needed. Bring to a boil, or until the peas are cooked and remove from the flame.
8. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

Note: The dish tends to thicken as it cools.

Serve warm with rotis or puris.

2 comments:

Sree vidya said...

mouth watering! Looks yummy

Sowmya said...

I'm going to try this today...thanks for the recipe ...