Chutney Upma

If you are wondering if it is a typo as the title says "Chutney Upma" rather than "Upma and Chutney".. NO, it is not! When I say "Chutney Upma", it is upma made with chutney as base! Now without saying, you must have understood that this is one of my so-called kitchen experiments during the mid-morning crisis* that resulted as a delicious breakfast /tiffin item worthy enough to be blogged about.

Mid-morning crisis - A recurring phenomenon that occurs during weekends and holidays, when you sleep late and wake up ravenous and not knowing what to eat to appease your giant-hunger! ;)

Green Chutney is not new to us; it is a multi-purpose chutney that can used as dips for samosas, toppings for chaat, spread for sandwiches, marinade for tikkas, base for pulavs and what not!! Here is one more use of this delicious chutney.

Since this recipe is something I accidentally found, (I am sure I haven't seen or heard of it before!) this delicious Chutney Upma finds its way to Sanjana's Create for a Chilli Chopper. Sanjana's KO Rasoi is a great blog with a wonderful collection of recipes, so don't miss it!

Green Chutney

What we need:
Fresh Coriander leaves - a bunch, cleaned
Fresh Mint leaves - a handful (almost equal or 3/4th of the coriander leaves), cleaned
Ginger - 1" inch, deskinned
Green Chillies - 2 or 3, according to your spice tolerance
Cumin (Jeera_ - 1 tbsp.
Oil - 1 tsp.
Lemon juice - a few drops
Salt - a pinch
Asafoetida - 1 tsp.
Garlic - 1 pod Optional

How to do:
Grind together all the ingredients to a fine paste with very little or no water. Add a pinch of salt if you are planning to store it for sometime. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.

If you have sharp eyes, you probably noticed the red pieces sticking out the chutney. Since I ran out of green chillies, I just cheated the system by using red chillies (not the dry ones, though!)
I mix a tbsp or 2 Yoghurt or thick curd to use it as a dip or chutney.

Chutney Upma
Serves 2
What we need:Vermicelli / Semiya - 2 cups
Green Chutney - 5 to 6 tbsp.
Oil / Ghee - 1 tbsp.
Cumin (Jeera) - 1 tsp. Optional
Salt - according to taste
Water - 3 cups
Chopped Onions - To garnish

How to do:
1. Roast the vermicelli or Semiya till it turns light brown and set aside. If you are using roasted vermicelli, proceed to Step 2.
2. Heat oil or ghee and add the Cumin. This is also optional since our chutney has enough Jeera.
3. When they start to sputter, add the green chutney and reduce the flame. Fry it for about a minute or 2.
4. When the raw smell starts to leave, add water and salt. Remember our chutney has a little salt, so adjust accordingly.
5. When water starts boiling, add the roasted vermicilli or semiya, cover and cook until the Semiya is done.
Transfer to the serving plate, garnish with chopped onions and serve with a cup of curd!

Rajma Masala from Nithya's blog
Last night for dinner, I tried the Spicy Rajma Masala from Nithya's 4th Sense Samayal. Check out Nithya's blog (I am sure most of you would have, she is pretty famous!); she has a mouth-watering collection of recipes with excellent presentations!

Needless to say, Rajma masala was delicious and lipsmacking! Only change I did was to saute the onions before grinding them with garlic, because somehow the white onions I get here turn bitter if I grind them without sauting! Thanks Nithya for sharing it with us.

Now time to acknowledge the awards; Babli has passed on to me




Thanks dear; I am honored, as always!! I'd like to pass it on to my newest blogger buddies: chakhlere, Sowmya, Shubha, my Kitchen, Preeti Kashyap, Padhu . Please accept it friends!

See you all soon with another interesting post. Till then, Happy cooking and happy Blogging!

46 comments:

priya said...

Hi dear,

Plz collect ur award frm my blog!

Unknown said...

thanks a lot dear for the award,...congrats to you too..you deserve it...
btw..i posted rajma masala too..and the upma looks absolutely delicious...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Never heard of this upma . Nice idea

Rekha shoban said...

hi dear, this is the first time im visiting ur blog...quite intersting recipes and congrats on ur awards. pls do visit my blog. will visit ur blog often.

Priya Suresh said...

USing chutney as an ingredient for upma seems quite interesting ROhini, ..rajma masala looks fantastic dear..Congrats on ur awards yaar!

Sushma Mallya said...

quiet an interesting one rohini...surely must be delicious..loved both these dishes..and as usual lovely presentation..

Sanjana said...

Hey Rohini, thanks for your fabulous entry! The rajma masala looks delicious!

gtyuk said...

congratulations for the award !!

chutney upma, nice creation; must be tasting great with the coriander and mint flavour; love the green colour of the uppma! and the rajma masala looks tasty too!

Raks said...

Nice idea of making upma,u tried the masala so soon??!! Nice :)

Sandhya Hariharan said...

V nice... Ur presentation is getting better n better..

my kitchen said...

Chutney upma makes me hungry.Thanks for sharing Lovely Awards with me

Kanchan said...

Wonderful idea of chutney upma, new creations :)
and you tried the rajma so soon :O .. agile :)

kamalabhoopathy said...

Nice idea Rohini and the upma too looks colourful

Latha said...

Nice version of upma....will try it soon.
Congrats on all ur awards!!!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Rohini, The Chutney upma looks very flavorful and beautifully presented.

Sarah Naveen said...

Chutney upma is a real new recipe to me...Sounds gr8 and looks fabulous..
Congrats on ur awards...

Tina said...

Its a new recipe to me..very interesting....

Preeti Kashyap said...

chutney upma seems awesome! I love the idea...raajma looks delicious too!

Preeti Kashyap said...

And thanks a lot for the awards dear!

chakhlere said...

Chutney Upma is really a fantastic idea. Rajma also looks yummy!!

Congrats for the awards dear. Thanks very much for sharing it with me. You made my morning with it :)

Namitha said...

Interesting...great find :-)Congrats on your awards :-0

Unknown said...

Congrats dear and wishing u many more to come.
Chutney upma sounds interesting...very unique recipe..Rajma curry looks so spicy and delectable!!!

Anupama said...

I totally understand what you mean by the mid-morning crisis Ro... it has happened to me several times and that is when I think of all the time consuming dishes in the whole world and end up losing my appetite by the time I finish making the dish... ever since I have realized not to make that mistake again, but to make some simple dish to satisfy my hunger... this upma is really very innovative Ro.. I bet it tasted great... was it a lil tangy as well? asking coz I love tangy and spicy when they come together :-)

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Very interesting recipe..looks very delicious dear..

Unknown said...

Never heard of chutney upma, that surely is a innovative creation and looks very tasty too. Rajma looks fabulous too, congrats on your award.

Anonymous said...

indeed a great discovery RO..I am sure it wud taste prtty gud witht he chutney base.and thanks for those awards..so sweet of ya..

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

wow nice innovative recipe.looks very yummy.and the rajma looks very yummy.hey teddybear is missing!!!

Padhu Sankar said...

A very innovative recipe .This upma does not need any side dish also as you have added chutney.I am sure this Chutney upma will taste great.Congrats on your awards and
thank you very much for passing the awards to me Rohini.Take care.

Vidya Rao said...

Absolutely brand new..and good thought process involved..sounds delicious too!

lata raja said...

Relate this to Salem-ite thinking, I often use up leftover chutneys in my upmas. Especially aval upma with a tangy green chutney, mid-morning illa, anytime wonder:)
Congrats on the awards.

Saju Sharfu said...

hi Rohini,
new tour blog..very intersting recipes..love ur chutney upma...
pla visit my blog wenu get the time

Simi Tresa Antony said...

hey i luv ths green chutney..was waiting for the recipe,,,thnks for uploading dear!!!

Aruna Manikandan said...

Hi Rohini,

Congrats on ur awards!!!!

Kindly pick up the award from my blog dear

with luv,
ArunaManikandan

Unknown said...

That is an innovative recipe n innovative name for the dish. Looks yummo!

Sh... said...

That's a wonderful post. A lovely recipe, a good try from another blog and few awards. Congrats for all of them!!! Btw u look gorgeous in the new profile foto...:)

Rohini said...

Thanks everybody!!

@ Raks and Kanchan: I tend to forget the recipe after sometime, so the best way to remember such lovely recipes is to try them out then and there... :)

@ Anu: Ya its tastes also a bit tangy because of a dash of lemon juice...

@Jey: Teddy is missing because it is with Nithi!! :)

@Lataji: Salem-ites think alike!!!

@Sh..: Thanks for your lovely compliments dear.. *blush*

Ambika said...

Thanks Rohini!! I'm sure you will get all the pats ;) Chutney upma is a brilliant idea..!!

Dolly Sharma said...

This is one unique idea. Quick and easy recipe.Love ur blog.Great presentation.


Dolly @ http://curryandbeyond.blogspot.com

my kitchen said...

Hi dear,

please pick award from my blog

Malar Gandhi said...

THats really unique and nice one:) Congrats on ur awards, wish you happy blogging:)

TNL said...

I love the look of that vermicelli upma! Rajma is a treat anytime!

cheers,trupti
the spice who loved me

kitchen queen said...

The chutney upma is appetising and looks tempting and worth a try

Anonymous said...

Innovative dish rohini.

Nithya said...

Hey thats really nice of you to give the credits right in the title. :)

your rajma looks really yummy too :)

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Novel Idea Rohini. Looks yummy.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Rohini thats really nice idea with upma and chutney surely will try it out .. thats really innovative idea.