Guest Post #2

Today's Guest Post is by one of my ex-colleagues and a very good friend, Karpagam. A kind-hearted person, great cook and of all, a very helpful person she is..! We used to have a gala lunch-time every day, with all the team members sitting in one big table and sharing everyone's lunch box (typical pattikadu style!) Those days are so memorable time of my career. :)

These 2 recipes I am posting today are her specialties and I can vouch 100% for the taste! :)

French Toast

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
Sliced white bread - 10
Butter

Method:
1. Beat the eggs lightly.
2. To this, add sugar, salt, and milk and stir it well.
3. In a medium-low heated Tawa/Skillet, add butter.
4. Place the bread slices one at a time in the egg mixture for a few seconds.
5. Transfer to the tawa and cook until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side.

Serve hot with honey/jam. You can team it up with a glass of Orange juice and a fruit for a satisfying breakfast!

Milagai Killi Sambar
Broken chilli Sambar

Ingredients:
Toor dal – 1 cup
Tomato – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind Juice – 1/2 Cup
Green Chillies – 4
Garlic flakes – 5
Onion – 1
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt – As required
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Jeeragam (Cumin seeds) - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – 5
Coriander leaves – for taste
Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon

Method:
1. In a pressure cooker, take the toor dal, tomato, green chillies, Asafoetida and turmeric powder. To this, add 2 cups of water and Pressure cook till 4 whistles.
2. In a pan, heat oil and add Mustard followed by Fenugreek seeds, Jeeragam and curry leaves.
3. When they are donea, add garlic and fry till golden brown.
4. Add chopped onion and fry till the onion turns transparent
5. Add Tamarind Juice and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Add this to the boiled dal, along with salt to taste and pressure cook again for 5 minutes.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.

Hope you all enjoyed today's guest post. See you all soon with another interesting recipe. Till then, Happy Cooking and Happy Blogging!

31 comments:

Deepa G Joshi said...

hey french toast is one of my favorites and this type of sambhar is something new..thanks so much to you and your friend for sharing..

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Nice sambhar

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice recipes,i have never done a french toast till now, quick and easy one...sambar recipe too sounds simple and delicious...Thanks to both of you for sharing these loving recipes...

Priya Suresh said...

My favourite bread toast and killu milagai sambar...delicious dishes..

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. French toast is on my lunch box menu atleast once a month. This sambhar sounds a quick one too.

Sanjana said...

Hi Rohini! Milagai Killi Sambar
sounds amazing, I bet you've made it over and over again :)

Kanchan said...

Had never put garlic in my sambhar !so this is new and french toast is my fav too !

Nithya said...

Mom never lets me cook eggs at home(except for baking). But being the naughtiest brat, I made this french toast at home when she was not in town. :) I loved the thrill of making a simple recipe when unnoticed. ;)

Sambhar sounds great too. :)

kitchen queen said...

the french toast looks yum and the sambar looks delicious.

Aruna Manikandan said...

French toast - My hubby's favorite!!!
sambar sounds new to me...

Ash said...

Oh! my all time favorite.... Because I am forever Egg cited...... I love french toast... my mom always prepared them for my lunchbox while at school.... & she did for my college too...may be for a shorter period of time, because by then we get eating all nonsense around right!!!!!! Manchurian, blah blah blah..... But I sincerely love it....

Kudos on your guest posting....

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Latha said...

Lovely recipes....my kids love french toast :).

Tina said...

Nice click dear...French toast looks yummy.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Both recipe looks so mouth-watering esp the sambar with broken chilli..nice post by ur guest..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

The french toast looks amazing! I havent had my breakfast yet and I wanna sooo grab each and every slice from the screen. And I will take your word about the sambhar. If its as good as the Paneer Pulav of yours, its a winner then!

Rachana said...

The sambar looks so delicious.. I've never had garlic in my sambar...looks great...

Sarah Naveen said...

Yummy yumm Sambar

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Perfect breakfast..looks really yummy.. and wonderful menu.

Reshmi said...

french toast gve memory bck to golden college days...hmm..lovely...sambar looks thick n fabulous...yummy sambar...

Sunitha said...

Pretty pretty picture of french toast and great sambar recipe too.. loved it!

Namitha said...

Oh, yeah, sharing the lunch boxes were one of the most lovely moments for me too :-)
The pic is too good..congrats to Karpagam for these wonderful recipes..The Sambar recipe is really interesting..

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Those are wonderful days where you getta have delicious food that comes from home and I always discard my lunch box since its hostel food... ;)

I love french toast I have it with a dollop of cream on top... The sambar recipe is good... Nice name though!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

priya said...

yummy toast..looks so neat and nice!

Swarna said...

Special moments are simply great memories and they will cherish for years. I really appreicate the way you doing it. A special toast to you.

Kanchana Shekhar said...

Killi Sambar is new to me...also, i have never tried garlic in sambar..will definitely try this one nad let you know how it turned out...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Wow! French toast my family all time favorite breakfast. Beautiful click dear:)

Fathima said...

French Toast is my fav... Have never made sambhar w/o sambhar pdr... So this is a keeper for me...

Unknown said...

french toast is one of my favorites..sambar sounds great..am drooling over it just thinking about how tasty it will be with hot rice.Thanks karpagam for sharing these great recipes..:)

Padhu Sankar said...

Sambar and bread toast looks superb!

Sree vidya said...

This is a nice series Rohini.
You have great ideas.
The way I am going on my blog, these days, soon I would contact you, to feature me on your guest post . lol
Will be back sooonn.
Sry if I had missed any of your messages on blog/orkut/facebook.
I am so overwhelmed with things and there is every chance I miss them.

Unknown said...

Luv french toast....I usually add milk to eggs...Nice click!!