Khasta Kachori / Moong Dal Kachori ~ ICC January Challenge

Kachoris or Samosas? I would have without a second thought, said "Samosa".. But having tasted this Kachori now, I will have a dilemma from now on, when it comes to Kachori or Samosa... Of course, they are no synonyms! Since I hadn't tasted Kachoris for a long time now, I had no idea how would it even look like.. I don't wanna sound like a moron anymore ;)

ICC January gave me the perfect timing to rekindle my memory cells and refresh my palates. Thanks to Srivalli, whose brain child is Indian Cooking Challenge, who made the right decision, choosing Kachori over Samosa, otherwise a moron like me would have never remembered this delicious savory! Needless to say, the end result was simply delicious, crispy Kachoris that brought a wide smile on DH's lips :)

Thanks to Medhaa, whose tried and tested recipe is what we are going to use for this month's challenge. Over to the recipe.. I have pasted the recipe, as is as given by Medhaa. Also I made the kachoris a bit smaller than the usual, as I preferred it that way.

Kachoris
Adapated from Medhaa's Aunty recipe

Resting Time for the Dough is app 1/2 hr - 1 hr
Frying time for the Kachoris - 20 mins for each batch app.
Soaking Time for the Filling is app. 1 hr
Cooking Time for the Filling is app 15 mins
Yields - 15

For the Dough
Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour / Maida - 2 cups
Oil/ Ghee - 1/4 cup ,
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Water for kneading

Method
Mix the flour and salt, Add the oil/ghee and mix till you get a bread crumbs texture.
Slowly add water and make a soft dough. Knead well for about 8 minutes.
Cover and keep aside to rest for atleast half hour.

Special Tips / Notes for the dough:
1. Keep the dough covered at all times, if not it will dry up and not puff up when frying. If the dough is made right wet cloth can be used if not just a towel.
2.The dough could spring back for many reasons:
Dough is too cold (If wet cloth is used)
Dough is not soft enough.
Not kneaded for enough time.
Oil is less.
Not rested enough.

Fillings
Khasta Kachori - Moong Dal Kachori

Ingredients Needed:
Split Moong Dal (yellow) - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry Leaves - 2 tsp chopped fine (opt)
Green Chilli - Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Sauf / Fennel seeds powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Mango powder / Amchur - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Method
1. Wask and Soak dal in water for atleast 1 hour. You can go upto 4 hours not more.
2. Drain the water well.
3. Grind the dal to a coarsely. (Will resemble Idli Rawa)
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add the hing and cumin seeds.
6. Once the seeds splutter add the curry leaves.
7. Add the dal.
8. Lower the heat and keep stirring for 5 minutes till the dal stops sticking to the pan.
9. Cook for another 10 minutes on low till the dal turns slightly brown.
10. Add all the masalas.
11. Cook for few minutes till the aroma of the spices hit you.
12. Add Salt.
13. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.

Special Tips / Notes for the filling:
1. The fillings have to be really dry if not when rolling they will ooze out when rolling.
2. Adjust the masalas according to your taste. What is given in this recipe is spicy to the extent one can still enjoy.
3. For idea on pressing the filled kachori, check out Manjula's method. If you try to press out using a rolling pin, the filling may come out and make holes in the kachori.
4. Fry the kachori's on medium low to get a crisp outer layer, that is the key. For people using electric stove, the numbers can be going from 6 to 4.

To Make Kachori's
Make a small ball from the dough. Roll out into a 2 inch diameter circle. Or flatten the ball using your fingers having the center thick and sides little thin.
Place about 1.5 tsp of the filling in the center of the rolled dough.
Cover the filling with the dough by slowly stretching it over the filling. Seal the ends and remove excess dough. Repeat with all the balls and keep aside for 5 -7 mins.
Then using your palm, flatten the balls by lightly pressing it, as using the rolling pin will make the filling come out. (See notes below). Keep aside covered. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Meanwhile heat some oil for deep frying. The oil should not become smoking hot. Test to see if the temperature is right by dropping a tiny ball of dough and see if it is rising slowly to the top.

Drop the kachoris in batches of 3-4 gently into the oil. It should rise up slowly. If you don't want to use lot of oil, use just enough for two or three at a time and fry them.

After it rises up (about 2 minutes), turn it over.
Cook for about 6 to 10 minutes till the side down gets a golden brown color.
Turn and cook the other side for another 6 minutes or till its golden brown in color.
Remove when done, cool and store in airtight container. Serve with coriander chutney and tamarind chutney .

Special Tips / Notes for making the Kachoris:
You can fry 3 kachori's at a time.
The oil should be at a heat when you drop some dough it should come up slowly, if the dough comes up too fast the oil is too hot, if it does not come up then the oil is cold.
It will not be crisp if the oil is too hot.


Hope you enjoyed this challenge as much as I did. See you all soon with another interesting post! Till then, Happy Cooking and Happy Blogging!

45 comments:

Ash said...

Love khasta Kachoris... My hubby was totally impressed....Indeed very khasta & yummy.... simply tempting goodies they are...

I would like to thank you from all my heart for all the lovely wishes u shared on my post & me... It surely means a lot as wishes are very important & plays a very vital role in everyone's life.....THANK YOU!!!!

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Sushma Mallya said...

kachoris have come out so perfect,loved the crispiness in it...and very tempting pics too rohini...hope u had a great valenties day...

Kanchan said...

My GOD Rohini !

Kachori is something I relate to as to be only brought from out and ate as many you want ! Never had homemade, so you know how J i must b looking at these !

Bookmarked !

Srivalli said...

Looks simply great!..Thanks for joining me.

Priya Suresh said...

Woww kachoris looks simply beautiful Rohini..great work dear..no doubt u guys enjoyed having these crispies na..

Rekha shoban said...

looks perfect...nice click!

kitchen queen said...

perfect tempting mouth watering kachoris.

gtyuk said...

Kachoris look gorgeous; I have never made them at home, your pictures are tempting enough to make me try these!! thank you for all those tips you've given to make them right!!!lovely!!!

Deepa G Joshi said...

wow, Rohini, the kachoris have come out so perfect and these looks so great and crispy.I will be having my tea now and I am tempted to eat some of these..how I wish..

Parita said...

Oh my gorgeous pics there rohini! Who doesnt like kachoris? Its my fav too :)

Sanjana said...

Hey Rohini! Wonderful kachoris, my dad would be very happy with a platter full of these- they are his favourite! I'm sorry I haven't been visiting much recently. I've been so busy with studying that I've been writing my blog posts, posting them and clicking off so that I can go and read. I hope to visit more often very soon :)

Anonymous said...

perfect kachori

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey,
These look wonderful. Nice and mouthwatering. What I need is a plate of these..

Vrinda said...

Nice savory pastry...will try soon...

Vineetha Sush said...

Never tried this..Tempting clicks..

Simplyfood said...

Perfect katchoris , Pastry looks flakey and delicious.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

They look delcious and crispy

Hayley said...

Perfect and tasty kachori...

Preeti Kashyap said...

Wow! looks yumm yumm...they look perfect!

Tina said...

Delicious kachori...

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looks yummy and great....perfect looking dear...

Swarna said...

Kachori's are perfect and looks delicious and how about sharing some???

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Wowo.. .Rohini.. Really beautifully done.... Feel like trying them

Deepthi Shankar said...

they look absolutely tempting

Nithya said...

Wow.. they look great buddy. And I am a moron till date.. I still dont know how it tastes and missed this challenge this time too :( I am such a lazy bum.. Cursing myself badly.. :(

Urmi said...

Kachodi looks yummy, crispy and tempting. I feel like having it now. Wonderful presentation.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

The kachoris are looking crispy and flaky... Very tempting!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Malar Gandhi said...

Kachoris luks yummmm.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Perfect and puffy kachoris da!

Fathima said...

Yummy looking Kachoris... I am yet to post mine!

Medhaa said...

i am so glad you liked these. thanks for participating

Raks said...

Wow,it has got huge layers!So sure it wud have been crispy! great effort Rohini!

Swathi said...

Nice kachori. I love them making too

Malar said...

hmm really really nice..

Sowmya said...

oh..it makes me drool...i never tried this b4....lovely clicks...

Namitha said...

That looks perfect Roh ! It's been a log time since I had them..and all the kachoris in blogger buddies' posts is tempting me to try them out soon..

Dolly Sharma said...

Dear Rohini, I was away for a while and you must have not seen me commenting anybody's blog..BUt i missed u all and I'm happy to visit my blogpals and am I delighted that I'm here...I JUST LOVE KHASTA KACHORI... HaTS off to you for such a savory treat and its a bit laborious i must say. They look crispy and perfect..THis is bringing a wide smile to my lips too Rohini...only if I cd taste a few..Oh, Now i'm craving for them this very moment..Send me some pls..Lets have some hot tea and Kachoris.

Recipeswap said...

Looks perfect.so much effort went into it and paid off well!

Padhu Sankar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Padhu Sankar said...

They look perfect .Lot of hard work involved. Keep rocking!

Dori said...

Delicious, fried goodness!

Anonymous said...

I so want it now..but I dont want to make it out of sheer laziness..wud u do a stopover at WA?they look awesome

Arti said...

Great Khasta kachoris.
Look really crisp and delicious.

www.myyatradiary.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Crispy kachoris out there!!!

Shruti J said...

Absolute delish!!! Just redirected to your page n found few yummy dishes here!!! Great... Happy to connect you :)

Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com