Onion-Cherry Tomato Thogaiyal

Here comes yet another thogaiyal / thuvayal / Chutney for rice from my cook book. I am a great fan of Thogaiyals and I am always on the look out for new varieties. This one, I first made with the shallot or the small onions and the taste was just excellent. Then I wanted to try it out with the red onions and so made some minor changes and used some cute little cherry tomatoes and this time too the result was just lip smacking! Do try it out for yourself, and I bet you can't agree with me more...

Onion-Cherry Tomato Thogaiyal
What we need:
Red Onion - 1, medium sized, cubed
Garlic - a small pod, Optional
Cherry tomato - 5 to 6, cut into halves
Red Chilli - 3 to 4, adjust according to your spice tolerance level
Urad dal - 3 tbsp.
Tamarind paste - a tbsp.
Salt - to taste
Oil - less than a tbsp.
Curry leaves - a few, Optional

How to do:
1. Heat oil and add the Urad dal and red chilli. Keep frying them till the dal starts to turn light brown.
2. Now throw in the cubed onions, halved cherry tomatoes and a pod of garlic (and curry leaves, if you are using them)
3. Add salt and saute them well till the onions and tomatoes are cooked.
4. Transfer to a blender, add the tamarind paste and blend into a smooth paste using very little water.
Serve with rice, sesame oil and roasted papad. I bet, you'll lick your fingers at the end of the meal. I did!! :D

See you all soon with another interesting post. Till then, Happy Cooking and Happy Blogging!

34 comments:

Kanchan said...

Kya baat hain one more recipe in a week ! Keep it going babes :)

Loved your pic with the tomatoes and Onion popping from behind.

Smita Srivastava said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely recipe. i'm a great fan of lovely chutneys n dips so need to try this one asap ...
Wonderfully clicked n presented too...

Smita
@Little Food Junction

Pavithra Srihari said...

Hey Rohs, I agree with you da . Never tried it with Cherry tomatoes but I am sure this is one of the best chutneys to have with rice.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hy Rohini,

Interesting preparation...lovely click !

Rekha shoban said...

interesting and yummy thogaiyal

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious thogaiyal, goes super prefect with idlies..looks yumm!

Ash said...

I am sure it must taste awesome with some plain piping hot rice..... I would lick all my fingers that I don't have to wash them.... ;-) But I am sure that must be the taste of it with rice.... I would love it... looks like very much my kinda prep..... :-)

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

simple yet wonderful recipe. I could imagine u icking ur fingers after having a this yummy thogiyal.ove to have with idli and dosa too

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

lovely thogayal. Would love to have it with idli, dosas especially rava dosas.

Unknown said...

Smple thovayal looks super yum!

SathyaSridhar said...

Rohini,,,thuvayal looks great paarkave nalla irukku paa..

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. Nice version of thogayal. I find it a tasty comfort food.

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice & simple,surely must be tasty too...

Faiza Ali said...

Delicious thogayal dear...would love to eat with some piping hot idlis :)

kamalabhoopathy said...

Nice side dish for idle and dosa.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

I love love thogayal too..Its splendid! If you come across something new please do post it.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

hmm..i can have as many thosai my tummy can take with tis mouth-watering thogayal:)

Unknown said...

Delcious onion tomato chutney...simple and easy....

Latha said...

Simple and easy...looks yummm.

Malar Gandhi said...

Thuvaiyal sounds delicious...

priya said...

yummy and delicious, dear

Nithu Bala said...

That sounds too good..great with crispy dosa too..

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looks so yummy and nice click as well rohini. My fav chutney too with idli and dosas.

Shama Nagarajan said...

interesting combo dear

R said...

nice recipe, will try this out, does it go with idlis??

Ann said...

Wow... lovely picture and it looks so good.

kitchen queen said...

hmmmmmmmmmmm! lovely delicious thogaiyal to go with thair sadam.I too am a fan of thogaiyals.

Urmi said...

Nice, interesting and wonderful recipe. Looks delicious.

gtyuk said...

hahaha, Rohini, sounds funny when I imagine you with a plate full of rice, thuvayal and sesame oil and papads, and finishing the rest of it left on your fingers, hehe

I'm the kind who does it too!!! lol

thought that red onions are kinda firm variety, your chutney looks delicious, have'nt tried with cherry tomatoes though, this is something you're tempting me to try!!! nice thuvayal!!!

shahana said...

Looks delicious! nice presentation as always!

Nithya said...

Yummy yummy.. I love thogayals too :)

Tina said...

Nice click dear...Chutney looks delicious...

Deepa said...

perfect chutney to go with rice and will try it with idlis..nice clicks..will be emailing you abt the guest post soon..a bit tied up..

Madhura Manoj said...

1st time here.u r having lovely space.Chutney looks awesome. Following u.