Sago Murukku ~ ICC March '10



When Srivalli announced this month's Indian Cooking Challenge, I was bit relaxed; not because I know to make Murukku. As a matter of fact, I have never made Murukku at all. I have only seen Amma doing it, but have never even touched the Murukku Achu but once (that was this time, when I brought it from India). Thank God I did it! Thanks Srivalli, from now Sago Murukku will not just be a challenge, but a regular affair at home! Amma usually makes Thenkuzhal or the typical Murukku. So Sago Murukku was new to me, but I was only thrilled with the outcome. It was perfectly crispy and so irresistible that it got finished in 2 days!!

But the flop-side was that the murukku didn't come out as a continuous piece; it got broke into small threads in spite of using the exact measurements given. And I was expecting a chakli-style murukku. Is my murukku ok? Or can somebody point out what could have gone wrong?

Sago Muruku

Rice flour and Sago coils



What we need:
Rice Flour - 2 cups
Besan flour - 1/2 cup
Fried gram flour - 1/2 cup Fried gram is the roasted gram dal which we get in shops. One needs to powder it and use.
Sago - 1/2 cup
Salt - according to taste
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp or as per taste
Curd - 1/4th of a cup

Muruku Achu/Murukku Press

How to do:
Making the dough:

1. Dilute the curd with water to make buttermilk. Wash and clean the Sago and soak it in the buttermilk for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Once the Sago is soaked well and is soft, mix in all the flours, salt, chilli powder.
3. Heat 2 to 3 tbsp. of Oil and add it to the mixture. Knead well to bring it to a chapathi dough consistency.

Deep-frying the murukku:
1. Heat oil. Meanwhile, take a small portion of the dough (the size of a medium tomato) and press into the dough.
2. When the oil is hot enough (not smoking), press the murukku directly over the oil.
3. Reduce to medium flame and fry till the murukku is golden brown on all sides.
4. Remove and drain on a kitchen towel.
5. Store it in a air-tight container for longer shelf life.

Important Notes:
Sago should be well soaked to avoid bursting.
You can lightly grease the insides of the murukku press with oil.

Hope you all enjoyed this month's challenge. See you all soon with another interesting post. Till then Happy Cooking and Happy Blogging! :)

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy muruku....with sago its totally new to me!

Deepa said...

Muruku sieht sehr lecker aus.Man muss kreativ sein, deshalb die Form des Murukus finde ich ganz KOOL..sehr knusperig

kitchen queen said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! hearing of sago muruku for the first time.It looks crispy and nice.I shall try it out soon.

Madhura Manoj said...

New recipe for me.Looks crisp n delicious!!!

Nithya said...

Looks so crispy and perfect.. no doubt it got over soon :)

Sushma Mallya said...

crispy, and a perfect snack to munch anytime...lovely click rohini

SathyaSridhar said...

Rohini,,,enna ore murukku special ahh irukkae...looks crunchy n fresh dear nice presentation..

Indian Khana said...

Ahh Rohini...yours looks so gud...ahh I should remove my pics I guess :(

Monika said...

looks so yummy

i made it the first time too and totally enjoyed making it

Priya Suresh said...

Ur murukku looks prefect and crispy for me...am damn sure tat u would have enjoyed munching them..

Pavithra Srihari said...

Yeah I think its the way it comes da. Havent made murukku for myself for the simple reason I dont have this achu.But after seeing urs I relly want to make this.That said it looks perfect because who ever has posted has very similar pics.No one's is like proper chakli without broken.

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Dear, your crispies look really good.

Raks said...

This is totally new to me and i love all these snack items :)

Tina said...

Crunchy crunchy murukku...

Simplyfood said...

Lovely crunchy murukus, beautifully clicked too.

s said...

great snack and lovely pics.

Latha said...

Crunchy murukku...looks really perfect rohini.

~ Lopa said...

yummm those Murukku looks crunchy and yummy...

Cool Lassi(e) said...

A very crispy treat!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

a different twist to the traditional preparation of murukku...looks yummy:)

R said...

nice effort, they look good even in this new avatar :)!

Sandhya Hariharan said...

v crispy and totally yumm..
i have brought the murukku squuezer with me.. cant try any of them..

chakhlere said...

Great job Rohini!!

Looks very nice and crunchy!!

Anonymous said...

yummy muruku!

Malar said...

hey this is nice yaar..what happened if it would not coming like murruku?..we can eat it like crackers..send me for evening snacks dear :)

Swathi said...

Rohini,

Don't worry about the shape, i too didn't get the shape. however they taste great.

Uma said...

looks so good Rohini. Yum!!

Fathima said...

yummy 'n crisp murukku!

Ash said...

They are indeed crisp & crunch munchies..... I would love them with my cup of tea for my evenings..... I always look forward to munch in the evenings.... When I do not find any I ask my hubby to find something for me from outside... He then brings something for me to munch on.... ;-) These are just perfect...... :-)

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Namitha said...

Yumm murukku..Seeing the sagoo murukku for the first time in ICC...Yours have come out well..In my home murukku will disappear in seconds,and there won't be much left to keep in storage :-)

Srivalli said...

Good that you enjoyed making this..:)..looks good..

Anna Bean said...

Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info
Click for more info