For V, piping hot vadais and coconut chutney are inevitable favorite and he never bothers to count how many he had.
Till our marriage, I had limited my business with vadai just till the dining room. But after learning the secret to please my hubby dear, I learned to make this lip smacking snack. Now it is just a matter of hours notice, and they are ready for the evening bite with tea!
We can make many variations using the same batter like
1. Mix Pudina to make pudina vadai
2. Mix chopped banyan flowers (Vazhai poo) to make Vazhai Poo vadai
3. Use Chopped Cabbage instead of Onion to make Vadai for Neivedyam
Spicy Lentil cakes
Makes 5 to 6 vadais
What we need:
Kadalai Paruppu (Chana Dal) - 1 cup
Onion, medium sized - 1, finely chopped
Coriander - 5 tbsp., finely chopped
Red Chillies - 2 or 3
Salt - as needed
Asafetida - a pinch
Oil - for deep frying
Water - as needed
How to do:
1. Wash and soak the dal for about 1 hour.
2. Drain and grind with red chillies, salt, asafetida and very little or no water.
3. In a bowl, mix this batter with chopped onions and chopped coriander. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
4. In a deep pan, heat oil. To check the heat, drop a small bit of batter in the oil. It should come up immediately.
5. Take some batter and using a banyan leaf/ butter paper /hand, flatten out to make the shape of vadai. Use some oil to avoid batter getting sticky.
6. Drop into the oil, and fry on both sides till golden brown.
Serve with coconut chutney or tomato sauce.