The other day I was scanning through the fresh-produce section in the supermarket when this box of green grabbed my attention. I never thought I'll find fresh "vendhaya keerai" or the green methi here in Switzerland and t was a like meeting a childhood friend accidentally after long time ;)
Here I have used half and half toor and moong dal. You can also use only toor or moong dal; anyways, it is tasty.
Methi Dal or Venthaya Keerai paruppu
Dal cooked with Green Methi leaves and spices
What we need:
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Methi leaves - a small bunch
Onion, medium sized - 1, finely chopped
Tomato, medium sized - 1, finely chopped
Garlic - 3 to 4 pods, minced
Green chillies - 1 or 2, finely chopped
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Mustard - 1 tsp.
Ghee (or) Oil - 4 to 5 tbsp.
Salt - as needed
Water - as needed
How to do:
1. Wash and clean the methi leaves. If desired, roughly chop them.
2. Wash and pressure cook the dal (for about 15 to 20 minutes). Mash them well.
3. In a pan, heat oil or ghee and add the mustard. When they start to sputter, add cumin seeds.
4. Once they are done, add the onion, green chillies and garlic. Fry till they are soft.
5. Now add the tomatoes, methi and cook till they turn soft and start to pulp.
6. Add salt, mashed dal and a cup of water (if needed).
7. Bring to a boil and remove from the flame.
Serve with rice and papad.