Paneer Butter Masala

This dish is one item that recurs every time we go to a restaurant! It is our love for paneer, and simplicity of the dish that makes me crave for it. Having smitten by "Paneer Bug", nowadays I am trying out a lot of varieties in Paneer, and this one never fails me.

Tastes best with Rotis and Nan, my (weird) choice is to have it with Chinese Veg. Fried rice. (Psst, it tastes so good!!)

Paneer Butter Masala
Indian Cottage cheese cooked in mildly spiced gravy
Serves 2

What we need:
Paneer - 150 g, cut into cubes
Butter/Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp
Tomato Puree - 1 cup
Green Chillies - 1, minced
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tbsp.
Cumin (Jeera) Seeds - 1 tbsp.
Chilli powder - 2 tsp.
Cumin powder - 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1tsp.
Yoghurt - to 4 tbsp.
Garam masala - 1 tsp. Optional
Coriander - for garnishing
Kasoori Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves - 1 tbsp. Optional
Salt - as needed

How to do:
1. Heat Oil (or butter) in a kadai and fry the paneer. Drain and keep it aside.
2. Heat the remaining butter (or oil) and add the cumin seeds. When they sizzle, add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
3. When they are done, add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt.
4. Fry well till the oil starts to separate. Now add 3 to 4 tbsp. of yoghurt and stir well. Reduce the flame to low.
5. Add the fried paneer cubes, mix well, and sprinkle a tsp. of garam masala.
6. Remove from the stove and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

Note:
1. Sprinkle crushed Kasoori methi for a better flavor (at step 5).
2. If dealing with calories is not a problem, you can drizzle a dollop of butter over the gravy before serving.
3. Those who don't eat garlic, can omit it and use only ginger. It has a flavor of its own.

2 comments:

feromoni said...

I love this dish, but I never tried to make it, now I will. Thanks for the recipe.

Sanjana said...

Hey, this is my first time on your blog and I'm loving it! You're a woman after my own heart with all these yummy paneer dishes! I invite you to my blog KO Rasoi http://korasoi.blogspot.com/ Please do come and take a peek when you can! :D