Dal Makhani


Dal Makhani always meant extravagance to me. Yes, having seen a tiny caption in the menu card of every restaurant "Black Urad dal and Red Kidney Beans slow cooked in a rich gravy overnight"... I had decided that this is one recipe I'd leave it to the chefs! Until my last birthday..

A good friend of mine rang me to tell that she had made Dal Makhani and wanted to give me some. As usual, my hubby dear was made the messenger and he picked it up on the way home. Needless to say, it was recreated to perfection and we actually fought for the last spoonful!

Now it has become a regular visitor to our dining tables. But I must admit that though I try to copy the recipe to book, I am still reminded of my first experience of home-made Dal Makhani by my friend.. Just like everyone remembers their first date! ;)

Dal Makhani
Black Urad dal and Red Kidney beans in a rich cream gravy
Serves 2


What we need:
Black urad dal - 1 cup
Rajma (Red Kidney beans) - 1/4 cup
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp.
Green Chillies - 1 or 2, minced
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida - a pinch
Chilli powder - 1 tbsp.
Garam masala - a pinch
Cumin (Jeera) seeds - 1 tbsp.
Oil/Butter - 2 tbsp.
Fresh heavy cream - 2 to 3 tbsp.
Kasoori methi - 2 to 3 tsp.
Salt - as needed
Water - as needed
Coriander - for garnishing

How to do:
1. Wash and soak the dals overnight. Change the water and cook them in a pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles or till they are done.
2. Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
3. When the cumin starts to sizzle, add the ginger-garlic paste. Fry till they emit a nice aroma and add tomato puree.
4. Stir in the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Cook till oil starts to separate.
5. Now add the cooked dal and water. Reduce the flame and let this cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low flame.
6. Add the kasoori methi (gently crush it before adding)
7. Drizzle in 2 to 3 tbsp. of cream and mix well. Remove from flame.

Serve with naan, roti or paratha.

No comments: