While Potatoes top the charts in my home, Peas comes next. A pod that never lets me down, a pod that never fails!! It was yet another time of scratching the brain for a dinner menu when the packet of frozen peas came to rescue. Now since I don't have a story to ramble on, we go directly to our recipe
Basmati rice cooked with peas and mild spices
What we need:
Peas - 1 cup
Basmati Rice - 1.5 cups
Onion, medium sized - 1, finely chopped
Green chilli - 1 or 2, minced
Garlic - 2 or 3 pods, minced
Peppercorn - 1 tbsp.
Cumin (Jeera) -1 tbsp.
Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp.
Coriander - for garnishing
Salt - as needed
Water - 2 cups
How to do:
1. Wash and soak the rice for about 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan, and add the pepper corn and cumin. When they sizzle, add onion, green chilli, garlic and salt.
2. Fry till the onion turn soft. Now add water; when it starts boiling, drain and add the soaked rice.
3. Cover and cook for about 8 to 9 minutes. When the rice is about half-done, add the frozen peas and mix gently.
5. Let this cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Check by mixing with a wooden spatula.
6. Once the rice is done, remove from flame and garnish with coriander.
Generally peas pulav is bland on its own; so instead of raitha, you can combine it with any gravy like Paneer Butter Masala or Dal Makhani.